Known by paradisaical beaches and dreamed destination for thousands of people, the Maldives don’t represent only the good life. There is more things to be discovered about this incredibly unique country.
- There are no dogs in the country. They are prohibited and even in the immigration form received on the plane to the capital Male is clear that dogs are forbidden. Only cats are found on the island, and other local animals.
- The official religion is Islam, they are Muslims. Alcohol is banned throughout the country and the only exception is for the major resorts. These can sell alcohol, but Muslims are prohibited from consuming alcoholic beverages.
- There are almost 1,200 islands, of which just over 200 are inhabited. Of these, some are so small that few people live. This is the case of Fulidhoo, which has less than 500 locals. However, there is politics at these sites and even election. There is a president for these islands, one for each named officially chief. They report to the President in Male and fight for better living conditions of local residents. There is politics even in paradise …
- Male, the capital, is a small piece of land in which there are 100,000 people. The Maldives is the world’s country with the lowest altitude above sea level. The highest point of the country is 2.5 meters and Male is only 90 cm from the sea. The problem of global warming is dramatic there and in 100 years no longer will exist this place. The government has begun transferring people to a new island near the airport for the country keep going with its capital, but properly relocated.
- Paradise also has its dirty side. The local waste goes to an island called Thilafushi, known as the island of garbage. It gets a lot of garbage, of all kinds, and increases about 1 square meter per day, such is the amount of waste it receives. Sad but real and a bad thing in paradise.
- The typical breakfast of Maldives has a food like Mexican tortillas and a mix of shredded fish, tomatoes, onions and coconut. It seems strange, but it’s very tasty.
- The laws in Maldives are very prohibitive. The penalty for anyone who is caught consuming alcohol (and Muslim) is 24 years imprisonment. If a neighbor is offended by the drunkard, he may request urine test for the authorities. They do and the miscreant goes straight to jail. But foreign (or non-Muslims) can drink alcohol, easily found in resorts. Paradise has its peculiarities.
Have you been to the Maldives? Do you know another peculiarity of there or elsewhere and it is very strange? Leave us a comment!